Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Art of Powder























Photo: Ellen Von Unwerth for Vogue Italia


My cute husband in Caron on Avenue Montaigne in Paris

The foundation of any artistic masterpiece begins with preparing the canvas. Powder has a long history of preparing the skin to show off sparkling eyes, blushing cheeks and rosy lips to their best advantage. High quality powders are milled so fine they go on creamy and melt into the skin. My favorites are difficult to find in the US but can usually be ordered on the internet.

On my last trip to Paris I was able to purchase powder from the House of Caron on Avenue Montainge. They are known to produce one of the finest powders in the world. Their secret formula involves mining the mineral powder from Carrara marble in Italy and delicately scenting it with Bulgarian roses. There are so many colors to choose from, like candy dishes all lined up in a row topped with pink swan down puffs, it's so hard to choose. It’s a dreamy experience to enter this perfumery. Chandelier light glittering off the Baccarat crystal perfume decanters is magnified by the mirrored walls, while the air is heavy with the scent of the most intoxicating perfume. It’s a tiny little shop filled with treasures like a jewel box and leaves your head spinning with delights like a dancing ballerina. I instantly fell in love and would have set up residence there if it were possible.



Paul and Joe is another high quality powder but used mainly over foundation so it goes on translucent and diffuses the light on your face. I bought it for the charming puff that came with it and also because the packaging was pearlized pink plastic embossed with a pretty floral design.
Jill Stuart is currently my favorite powder, both for the quality and the adorable princess packaging. I’m reminded of my childhood every time I use it. When I was five or so, my mom bought me a little plastic makeup set from the dime store. It had a shimmering mirror, brush, comb and earrings along with fake plastic makeup. Something about Jill Stuart’s little diamonds in the plastic reminds me of the pleasure of playing “makeup” when I was little. I'm very fair so I ordered the compact with the pink tassel in the lightest shade called Linen and the loose powder in Lucent. I think the Lucent may be a little too light so I'm going to order it in Natual and combine them to mix the perfect shade. See http://www.jillstuart.com/ and click on Beauty for a peak at their adorable product line.















No comments:

Post a Comment