Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bonjour Happiness


I love this book, Bonjour Happiness.  I took it to San Fransico with me and read it for the second time.  However this time I read it much more slowly, and always in a french bakery near my hotel as I had no money to shop.  For hours I would sit eating delicious pastries and coffee and make little notes how to improve my happiness according to the author's suggestions.  Jamie Cat Callan made a brilliant observation that happiness does not cost money.  I implemented her suggestion to make a "happiness profile" consisting of a small list of things that don't cost a lot of money but can bring you great pleasure.  Since I have four kids in a rather small farmhouse, I am constatly frustrated by the mess.  So I decided to give up the battle and focus on what I can actually control.

1.  Keep my bedroom room clean, especially my vanity, so I can primp and put on makeup without the feeling I need to clean it first.
2.  Keep my little breakfast nook clean so I have one spot in the house I can relax and enjoy a cappucino with madeleines.
3. Collect eggs from my crazy collection of chickens: frizzles, silkies, auracanas, americanas and silver seabrights.  Let them out to entertain me while I drink a morning coffee in the garden if it's not raining.  
4.  Relax and read a good book.  Make the kids clean up their own mess.

Get this book on Amazon, you will love it.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, I haven't read the book but I was posting quotes from it today from Goodreads.com! Love it!

    ReplyDelete